Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Things We Never Knew

A purple raccoon, actually three purple
raccoons, one alone could not reach the
button, rang my door bell yesterday
evening just after supper- chili and rice.

They say there is a moment just before
astonishment when the mind goes blank
with disbelief. I can assure you this
moment exists.

Seeing three purple raccoons standing on
each others shoulders ringing my door
bell had created a perfect vacuum in my
reasoning. Speechless blended with a
slow motion blink.

The top raccoon asked, “Where is
Betty?” Betty was my ex-girlfriend,
gone a month, with no regrets.

“She is not here.” I answered

The middle raccoon looked up at
the other and said “I told you so.”

The three then scrambled down and
strolled off down the walk. The third
raccoon that had been silent to this point
turned to me and said, “Too bad, she was
an interesting woman.”

It was then I had the first hint I might
have misjudged Betty. I could feel
curiosity turn toward regret. Why had
she never introduced me?

gng 1-10-0

No comments:

Post a Comment