Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Henry

When alone or only with me, my
dog, Henry, magically barks. Each
time he barks, just as in a newspaper
comic strip a balloon appears in the
air, enclosing the word “bark.”

The balloon stays for only an instant
then puff it is gone and a small piece
of wood bark drops out of the sky and
and falls to the ground.

It is funny how we accept behavior
from our pets that would otherwise
be odd or strange from our human
friends.

So I have grown use to the fact that
Henry barks in balloons and trails
tree bark in his travels.

Often when I come home I find piles
of bark near the door or a window a
sure sign that Henry has defended the
house with his barking.

I find the piles a comfort, they are
the otherwise invisible signs of Henry’s
life when I am gone. I must teach him
to sweep.

gng  6-17-06
cabin afternoon sitting with Glen
my brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment